Friday, May 30, 2008

A Few Tips For Getting Started

I thought I'd write a few of the things we did to get our boys comfortable with using the toilet (I think only the first tip will apply to training girls. Maybe the second if you find a way to adapt it).
*First of all, we talked about it comfortably with the boys before we even thought about starting training. We also let them watch us use the toilet from early on. It's starting to get a bit weirder for me, now that Drew and Owen are noticing the different body parts and who has (or doesn't have) what. But I'm straightforward and honest with them (without divulging too much, of course), telling them proper terminology, so they don't end up like Elliot on Scrubs, using words like "bajingo" and "hoo-ha." I think letting them watch us helped them see how it works and what the routine is (wiping, flushing, hand-washing, et cetera).
*Find something exciting about it. Drew and Owen like bubbles. When they discovered that pee sometimes makes bubbles when it hits the toilet water, they were all excited to get in there and try. Even now that they've been using the toilet for a while, they still come out of the bathroom and say, "I made bubbles, Mom!" Some little boys enjoy target practice. They actually sell targets, but I think they cost more than they're worth. I've heard of people using Cheerios or other round cereal, and letting the boys try to hit them with their pee.
*Show them how to pee standing up. The boys have seen their dad do it, but when he's at work, it's up to me to teach them, so I just stand them on a little stool in front of the toilet and position their little bodies so the pee gets where it needs to. I used a squirt gun to sort of imitate what would happen. They've adapted their own method, which involves leaning way over the toilet and holding onto the back of it. It works for them. I think standing up helped them because facing the toilet lets them see what's going on and they don't have to feel precariously perched atop the big thing. We've actually had more success since they started standing than we ever did with them sitting on the Cushie Tushie. And it's a lot easier for them to hit their target and not spray the room.
*A neighbor of ours let her boy practice on a tree in her yard. She said he was way more relaxed about it. For a few days, he would only use the toilet for a bowel movement, preferring to run outside to pee. When the novelty wore off, he started using the toilet to pee instead of using the local flora*.
*For bowel movements, I let the boys go in their diapers at nap time for a few days (they seemed to be saving up for that anyway) while they got the peeing thing down. Now, when I notice them making a face like they need to poop, I whisk them into the bathroom and sit them down on the toilet. The first time or two they resisted, but I held their legs, gently pushing them down onto the seat. Then I looked them in the eyes and told them, "You need to sit here to poop. Would you like me to sit next to you or would you like me to leave the room while you sit?" Usually, they'll have me sit on the side of the tub and chat with them while they wait for their bowels to move. We sing songs or talk about cars or whatever, just make it really relaxing, trying not to focus too much on why they're really there. When their grunting and pushing interrupts the conversation, I just calmly say, "Nice work. Almost there," or something like that, then go back to the conversation. Before they know it, the task is done.
I feel pretty lucky that both boys are sort of on the same page with all of this. Generally, the techniques I use work for both boys and I don't have to come up with a bunch of crazy, creative ideas for each boy separately. I'd like to hear what's worked (or is working) for other people.
*Glad this Blogger has an "edit" function. I typed up and published my post, then re-read it only to realize instead of typing "flora" I had typed "fauna." Plug that into the sentence to see what it reads. I'm getting the giggles, picturing the scenario in my head: When the novelty wore off, he started using the toilet to pee instead of using the local fauna.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am still reading. Ashlyn has started to grab her diaper when she has to poop. So I quickly take the diaper off and plop her down on the toilet. She pushes a few times, and 1 time a little even came out. But I don't think that she like sitting precariuosly up on the big toilet, it makes her nervous, so she only stays for a minute or less. Then I put a new diaper on, only to have her finish the job as soon as she gets the diaper on. I haven't tried to potty train her yet, but I guess she might be about ready. I think we are going to try getting a little potty, she loves little chairs, and will sit on anything that is her size.

abby's photo shoppe said...

Thank you for this post! It will be very helpful!
Abba