Saturday, May 17, 2008

Takin' It Easy, But Still Takin' It...

I get burned out so easily. With lots of things.
I was working part time cleaning apartments for some friends, and even though I enjoyed the money, I did a couple two hour jobs and one five hour stint (it was a horribly messy apartment) over the course of like, a week, and now I never want to go back.
I get on a kick and clean my entire house top to bottom in one day, and then I don't want to touch it for five days, so by the time I feel like cleaning it again, it takes one day of cleaning from top to bottom again.
I started toilet training the boys on Monday, acting all enthusiastic and trying to be consistent. By Tuesday, I'd had enough and now, four days later, I haven't done much of anything with toilet training.
Are we sensing a pattern here? I'm learning that the key to everything (including toilet training)is in moderation. I just thought of a scripture that applies to toilet training (scriptures really are universal!): And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order. (Mosiah 4:27) This scripture actually applies to just about everything, and it pops into my mind in so many different situations.
I appreciated Kadee's comment from the other day; a couple hours a day for a week sounds like something we can definitely start with. I think we'll do our toilet training in the mornings--that's when we're most relaxed since we usually have no where to be. Also, that's when the boys do most of their playing (that's when we have the neighbor kids over), and I'd like to help them realize that they can interrupt play time to use the toilet for a minute or two, and that life (and play time) still goes on.
Drew and Owen definitely have no problems interrupting bed time to use the toilet (when I tell them it's time for bed, they yell, "NO! It's not time to bed! I have to ooze [Owenese for "use"] the toilet!" Then they run into the bathroom to "make bubbles." It cracks me up how they stand on the stool in front of the toilet, hold their little (okay, big) bellies and grunt. Unnnggg! 'Cause like my track coach always said, "Grunting improves performance."

No comments: