Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Our First Minor Setback

We started out all enthusiastic with this toilet training stuff yesterday. Today, we're not as enthusiastic. I think there are a few things factoring in:
*I'm tired. I had to get up early today to watch the neighbor kids while their mom is at class. It wouldn't be so bad, except I'm still having a hard time going to sleep early, and I don't sleep well once I am asleep. So I don't really feel like pressing the issue today.
*The boys are tired. They get up early when the neighbor kids come over, too, because the kids are loud and the boys are so excited to play.
*The boys would rather play with the neighbor kids than use the toilet. Drew screamed and wailed all the way into the bathroom. He refused to remove his britches so I did it for him. He tucked up his legs and refused to stand on the stool. Okay, he can pee sitting down. Lots of boys prefer it, so I hear. But when I put him on the toilet, he shimmied right off and tried to run. I figure since his diaper was already slightly wet, he probably wouldn't go much anyway (if at all) so I just let him go get dressed.
We'll try some more after nap time, I guess. I decided that the reminder monkey I used yesterday was a bit excessive and maybe a little stressful. I mean, every twenty minutes? No kid pees that much. It did cause me to be aware, though, of how often the boys actually do pee, which is more like every hour and a half. At the most. So I might set the reminder monkey and just ignore two out of every three times it sings, "Time to Go Potty!" and have the boys try to use the toilet every hour.

1 comment:

Kadee said...

Okay. Potty Training is one of the hardest things I've done as a mom You can't do it all day everyday. Not even for 2 days straight. You're boys may be trained at the end of the two days, but you won't be able to enjoy because you'll be dead. You will have died from exhaustion, but David will thank you for it!
I say a couple of hours a day for a week is sufficient, those little guys and you need a life outside of potty. I think it will stress them out doing it all day long.
I know everyone has an opinion on this, and this is just mine. BUt, we never used pull ups, when we were potty training she was naked and when we weren't potty training she was in a diaper. I think maybe I bought one pack of pull ups and she used them at night for like a week and we gave the rest away. It only to Gracie about a week to be potty trained, but accidents take a long time to get rid of. In fact we're still working on them when she gets stressed out.
Good Luck! THey'll be out of diapers before they go to college!