Thursday, May 22, 2008

Number One Pretty Much Done

It seems like Drew and Owen have peeing down pretty well. Drew only had two accidents today, Owen had none. Both boys have gone on their own to use the toilet without being reminded. We aren't being very consistent with rewards anymore. I had been using a chart with seven boxes and when they got a star in every box, they got a cookie. So they could get a cookie (or maybe more*) every day. Now, we still hand out the praise like it's going out of style, but sometimes we don't put a star on the chart. I sometimes mentally count how many times they've gone and give them a cookie (especially on the occasion of them going without being reminded by me), but lots of times we just skip it. The boys don't seem to care much one way or the other, but of course are always grateful for a cookie. It looks as though they're really catching on (hope it sticks)!
Pooping is a different story. It seems to me like the boys are saving up for nap time, because we've been putting them back in diapers "just in case." They usually wake up from naps dry but stinky--if that makes any sense. I think I may have to start sitting them down on the toilet before naptime, and just stay until they get the job done. I've read somewhere, though, that they shouldn't sit on the toilet for too long without success, so I might set a time limit... I dunno. I went to babycenter.com for answers, and found some good ones. Check them out! I especially like the comment about the "hokey pokey," potty style.
*A friend told us that when she was toilet training her daughter she went to the dollar store and bought all kinds of prizes and rewards to dole out every time the daughter used the toilet. The little girl caught on pretty quickly: she figured out that she could hold some in every time, then go again in a few minutes and get more toys that way. Clever!

No comments: