Monday, May 12, 2008

Here We Go!

I'm starting this blog for a couple reasons:
*I want to document my kids' toilet training (there are a couple reasons behind this, too: *Various relatives seem to think that toilet training is just really easy and that their kids were toilet trained as soon as they could walk, and that our kids are just slow and we're not trying hard enough. *This will serve as a record of what it's really like for our family. *I can look back on it when my grand kids are being toilet trained and remind myself not to make comments about what my kids should and shouldn't do because every kid is different, and toilet training really is that stressful sometimes.)
*There are probably people who enjoy my other blog, but don't really want to hear all about poop and pee and all the other stuff associated with toilets and toddlers. But there might be readers who are in (or have recently gotten out--lucky!) the same boat as we are and could use some reassurance or share tips or whatever.

If everything goes well, this blog will be short-lived, but will start up again in a year or two when it's Samantha's turn. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love hearing about your kids bodily functions. It comforts me to know that my child is not the only one! Besides, once you get over the grossness, it is pretty funny.

Nurse Heidi said...

*Various relatives seem to think that toilet training is just really easy and that their kids were toilet trained as soon as they could walk, and that our kids are just slow and we're not trying hard enough.

Holy crap, you'll never hear that from me. Ethan was the WORST! It took a full year. He had huge issues with pooping in the toilet. I have only sympathy for potty training moms as it is my least favorite developmental stage so far. Rachel was a lot easier...crossing my fingers that Katie is too, though with her stubborn personality we may really be in for it.

Lura said...

Let's see, I originally said he would have to go 9 times to get the train (I made a steam engine and 8 train cars on the chart for him to color in), but it turned it out being much harder and more frustrating for him than I thought it would, so I flubbed and started letting him color 2 cars each time he went. I thought this would be such a big motivator, but it sort of backfired. Every time he would actually poop (he already had peeing down) on the potty, he would ask, "Do I get my train now?" When I explained that he needed to go 'so many more' times, he would scream and cry like it was the end of the world. He did finally get it, but it took a month (I was hoping it would take a week or two).
But I think once he got the reward it caught on, because I decided to persevere (he was so used to coloring in something on a chart, he wanted to keep going) and made a chart for him to earn some tracks for his train (we are collecting the GeoTrax system). I only put 5 tracks to color on the chart because it had been so hard for him with the train, and he ended up coloring them all in in less than 2 days! Yeah, he pooped on the potty 4 times in one day, and then once the next day! And he's been pooping several times a day on the potty since then (before this, he would only go once every other day). I guess something finally just clicked. I don't know if getting the train or me forcing him to poop had more to do with it, but it seems like he is potty-trained now! He no longer has a chart, but we've gone back to potty candy. But once it's gone, it's gone. I'm hoping he'll keep it up with just verbal rewards.
I agree that trying every 20 minutes all day every day is too much, but I do think you need to be consistant and have them try frequently throughout the day. But if it's not working, you can always take a break. Also, have you considered potty-training only one of them at a time. I don't know how that would work out, but you could try it.
Good luck!